John Green being fucking awesome
"read misogynistic gender dynamics into it"
don’t need to read into things that are actually fucking there!!!! holy shit john green have you ever read twilight or are you pulling this statement out of your ass like you seem to do a bunch lately?
let’s count the ways twilight fucks up in terms of “gender dynamics” and other things, shall we?
- a character is physically abused by her cousin’s boyfriend to the point of being scarred permanently, yet they still get together for “destiny” reasons
- same character basically exists as a satellite planet to her bf and as an example of how every imprintee should act
- imprinting as a whole: YOU GET NO CHOICE IN LOVE!! boy falls in love w/ u? u better just fucking accept it. don’t like him?? you’ll “grow to”, because of his “loving devoted attention”!!! it’s for the good of the pack!!!! fuck you if you want anything different
- imprinting on babies, aka child grooming is totally okay as long as you don’t start the sexy stuff until 18!! (“mentally”- can’t forget bella’s daughter is allowed to get w/ jacob, her mom’s former friend, when she’s seven years old)
- bella’s agency is completely taken away by edward (and jacob) in terms of her child (wanting her to get an abortion against her wishes, edward basically telling jacob he can have sex with her and give her children if she wants them)
- edward sleeps with bella even though he KNOWS she will be harmed by it
- leah clearwater is portrayed as an utter complete bitch for not following the pack rules, yet jacob is touted as a heroic leader for doing the same
- and speaking of leah, how fucking dare she be upset her boyfriend broke it off with her to get into a “fairytale” relationship with her cousin!! (the same bf that later scarred her beloved cousin and friend FOR LIFE)
- jacob and edward treat bella like a literal piece of meat and consistently ignore her wishes for “the greater good”
- being a vampire makes u white!!!!!!
- humans are trash. you’re a human? you’re trash
- jacob violently kisses bella without her consent
- bella is the classic definition of “not like other girls” and treats the girls who attempt to be friends with her as disposable
- she also treats her father like trash and is dismissive of her mother
- SEX IS BAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SILLY BELLA
- special snowflake syndrome to the max (and u’d know about that right john? *flutters eyelashes*)
- don’t forget the stalking!!! nothing says true love like stalking
- “Perhaps the creepiest part was the werewolf wife (who was human) who had the misfortune of being around her husband when he got angry & lashed out at her. It was a tacit endorsement of domestic violence. There was never any thought that the wife might leave her husband or that you maybe shouldn’t be around someone who will strike you when they are angry (especially someone with claws..) ” -ezra
- “Did anyone else also notice that the good guys in this series are white, and the bad guys are Native American? Also ALL of the vampires in the book are white.” -diaryofacrazywoman
- “And don’t worry. If Edward ends up killing Bella, it will be her fault. That’s because she should know to stand perfectly still when he kisses her. Otherwise vampire passions are aroused and, well, murder happens.” -Elizabeth Esther (aka EMOTIONAL ABUSE WOOHOO)
i agree that smeyer experiences sexism, misogyny, and fatphobia because of her books, and i agree that twilight fans do as well, and that’s terrible and wrong. but that in NO WAY excuses the fact that twilight is disgusting tripe. the movies were way, way toned down to a lot of these things, tbh, so i understand why you might see the issue as blown out of the water in those respects- but the books DO exist, they ARE there, and so is all the things they tout as romantic.
tl;dr: you know nothing john green
"you can just ignore sexism and rape culture if you squint and not wanting to do that makes you the misogynist"
really like this guy needs to hire better PR people can someone hire John Green a PR guy for me
It was sort of mentioned in the list above but I want to make it EXPLICITLY CLEAR that Edward and Bella’s relationship IS CANONICALLY ABUSIVE. Here is a link explaining why, but if you don’t want to go all the way over there I’ll give you a short rundown. The National Domestic Violence Hotline has a list of fifteen signs you might be in an abusive relationship and says If you answered ‘yes’ to even one of these questions, you may be in an abusive relationship.” Edward and Bella’s relationship hits ALL FIFTEEN.
So yes, John Green, tell me more about why it’s acceptable to teach teen girls (the biggest Twilight fanbase) to glamorize and aspire to a completely abusive relationship. We should most definitely say that there’s nothing wrong with that unless you want “to read into it.”
After all, media doesn’t impact how people think at all does it? Especially not growing children! Now, I don’t advocate banning books ever, but people need to be made aware of problematic things in literature. It’s the same problem with romanticizing Romeo and Juliet, except Shakespeare never wanted that to happen. If nobody calls these works out on how problematic the relationsips in them are, you are passively enabling abusers and abusive relationship. So thanks John for doing that.
john green deciding to just “look past misogyny to be nice to authors” fucking gee whiz another white guy another day smh
Oh lord. Now I know the context for that ‘reading misogyny into it’ quote I am even more disgusted.
Yes, Stephenie Meyer is getting more crap for her books than male authors would. But it does not change the fact that- as the commenters above have pointed out- her books are extremely problematic, and yet are still being marketed to teen girls as some sort of great romance.
Here’s the thing, Mr. Green. You, as an adult, have the life experience to recognize misogyny in a work of art, and as a man, you have the freedom to ignore it. Teen girls? Are being sold abusive relationships as romantic, as ideal relationships, and they don’t necessarily have the discernment to realise that that shit is problematic, ESPECIALLY with people like you telling them it’s all in their heads.
I will never, ever forget the day my third-graders- eight year olds- told me they all loooooooooooved Twilight, that they wanted a boyfriend just like Edward.
I want you to think about that for a second. These girls are EIGHT YEARS OLD. And this is the kind of media they’re consuming, these are the kind of relationships they’re being told are GOOD things.
And the things that you grow up with as a child- the things that are normal to you as a child- are what you wind up wanting, expecting, as an adult. I know I can trace my current fascination with military history back to G.I. Joe cartoons and JAG, and I thank fate that both those series had kick-ass strong women for me to look up to, since I wanted to be just like Scarlett and Lady Jaye and Sarah McKenzie. And later, I wanted to be just like Hermione Granger.
But my third-graders, those precious baby girls? Want to be Bella Swan. They don’t see anything wrong with the creepy stalker boyfriend… in part, Mr. Green, because people like you tell them there isn’t.
i wrote a paper as a senior in high school about this and when tracking the unhealthy relationship symptoms i found this out too. fucking a.
THIS is a legitimate reason to think Twilight is problematic. Not “oooh, but it’s girly literature cause the vampires sparkle and all the teen girls are into Edward”. As funny as some of the sparkly vampires jokes are - and they really sometimes are - Twilight’s very unique take on vampires is the least of the series’ problems, yet this criticism gets heard a lot more than the criticism of people who have noticed that something isn’t quite right in the relationship between Edward and Bella.
I brought this up every chance I had when I was working with the youth theatre girls this summer. There was one in particular who was way gaga over Edward and how she wanted a boyfriend just like him, so I told her “Oh, you’d be ok with a guy who followed you everywhere, invaded your privacy, ignored your feelings, sabotaged your friendships, and isolated you from everyone you’ve ever loved? And nearly killed you on several occasions?”
And I literally watched the switch flip in her head.
my mom is dying laughing right now
yeah, that’s upsetting, but not surprising at all.
once i did a video breaking down how bella & edward’s relationship is abusive
then twilight fangirls sent me a ton of hate mail
WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU?